Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Statistical Roleplay Tutorial

4 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Statistical Roleplay Tutorial Empty Statistical Roleplay Tutorial

Post by Chiasma Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:24 pm

Welcome to my tutorial of Statistical Roleplays. As I stated in the Interest Check, I will provide a basic character sheet given there are much complex concepts I will explain in due time. This sheet is to be filled with your first character, which you may or may not use for Oblivion Phantasy ~ Grimoire of Fate. I will give an explanation over the different fields, but if you have doubts, feel free to say so in this thread so I can hopefully answer you properly.

Code:
[b]Name:[/b]
[b]Gender:[/b]
[b]Age:[/b]
[b]Level:[/b]
[b]Next Level:[/b]
[b]Appearance:[/b]

[b]Profession:[/b]
[b]Weapon:[/b]
[b]Armor:[/b]
[b]Accessory:[/b]

[b]A-Ability:[/b]

[b]+ Skill #1:[/b]

[b]+ Skill #2:[/b]

[b]R-Ability:[/b]
[b]S-Ability:[/b]
[b]X-Ability:[/b]

[b]~ Stats ~[/b]

[b]HP:[/b]
[b]MP:[/b]
[b]Atk:[/b]
[b]Def:[/b]
[b]Int:[/b]
[b]Spr:[/b]
[b]Movement:[/b]
[b]X Gauge:[/b]

Let us begin.

The "Name", "Gender", "Age" and "Appearance" fields are self explanatory and I believe I should say nothing more concerning them.

As starting characters, "Level" is to be set at Level 1 as a default. As such, "Next Level" will be 0/10, which represents the progress in Experience Points the character has to achieve the next Level. The amount required increases as your character Levels Up, going from 0/10, to 0/16, to 0/24, and so on.

"Profession" determines what your character is. If you have ever played an RPG with a Job/Class System, then I should tell you that this similar. A Knight, a Black Mage, a White Mage, a Dragoon and a Gunslinger are all examples of Professions your character can have. A Profession is very important due to the fact it determines Base Stats, other bonuses (See: Innate Properties and Resistances/Vulnerabilities which we will see later on), and most specifically, Skills. However, do not be limited by just going by classic Final Fantasy-esque Professions, as you can create your own to add to the customization value. The sky is the limit, as they say, but even that is an understatement.

"Weapon" and "Armor" are fields which determine what exactly your character is currently equipping. It should be concordant to the Profession, as a Dealer should not be wielding a "Cracked Staff" and "Torn Robes" for the matter. For the sake of Level 1 simplicity, please refrain from naming your starting sword "Sacred Vanquisher of All Evil" or anything similar since it will be adding just 1 point of Atk or Int (For Weapons), or 1 point of Def or Spr (For Armors) to your Base Stats. "Dull Sword", "Dusty Tome", "Rusted Mail", "Torn Robes" are better examples of starting equipment.

"Accessory" is a special. You are allowed to select the stat which is benefited from this type of equipment, ranging from +5 Max HP, +5 Max MP, +1 Atk, +1 Def, +1 Int, +1 Spr and +1 Movement. You can choose to increase a dominant stat, or one which is rather lacking.

"A-Ability" stands for Action Ability, which is the summary and definition of all the Skills the character can use. For example, a Trained Assassin would be able to use abilities relating to stealth and dealing concentrated amounts of damage, so the A-Ability containing all of those Skills would be named "Tactical Murder". As another example, a Barrier Master would specialize in the usage of barriers for defense and support, and so the A-Ability would be named "Barrier: Protection".

Now, for the actual abilities and techniques a character uses in combat to cause higher damage than one normally would deal or cause diverse effects, those are called Skills. They all fall under Action Ability. For a Skill to be approved, I need a name, the DAMAGE it deals, additional EFFECTS such as "Chance of Poison" or "Chance of Immobilize" that can be optionally added, the RANGE, the ELEMENT, and finally, I will add an MP COST to it which is determined by a formula of mine. I will give three Skill examples.

+ Simple Stab: Lunges forward to stab the target with the user's sword. 120% Atk Damage. Range: 3 Cells. Element: Neutral. 8 MP.

+ Fire: A basic Fire-Elemental spell. Engulfs the targets in flames which dissipate shortly after. 110% Int Damage. Chance of Burn. Range: 4 Cells. Element: Fire. 10 MP.

+ Concentration: Concentrates in order to achieve perfect accuracy in the user's next attack. User's Next Action is Sure Hit. Range: Self. Element: Neutral. 7 MP.

The Damage Output is a percentage which determines how much Base Damage, factoring from an attacking Stat (Atk or Int), the Skill causes. This means that 100% Atk Damage with 5 Atk will cause 5 Damage, 80% Atk Damage will cause 4, and 120% Atk Damage will cause 6. Of course, this means that the higher the Damage Output, the higher the MP Cost. Be careful. The Range is self-explanatory. Combat is made in a Battlefield Grid, with the default dimensions being 9x9 (81 Cells in total). Each unit takes up a Cell. Of course, we will see more about this later, during actual combat lessons. The Element is the nature of the attack. There are a total of ten Elements: Fire, Water, Thunder, Wind, Earth, Ice, Nature, Light, Dark and Arcane. Neutral signifies there is no Element.

I will stop here. You are allowed to post your beta profiles here for directions if you'd like. Please do not hesitate to ask questions if you feel confused over something. We are about 50% done, profile-wise.
Chiasma
Chiasma

Back to top Go down

Statistical Roleplay Tutorial Empty Re: Statistical Roleplay Tutorial

Post by quackers are yummylicious Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:16 pm

Name: Alice Benevo
Level: 2
Next Level: 1/10
Appearance: Stands at 5'4. Scrawny appearance. Long blonde hair that's often pulled back in some form with a white cloth, "bangs," or rather hair that escaped her pulling back that frame her thin face. Round light blue eyes. Dresses in a tattered blue tunic, with white leggings underneath. Handmade leather boots.

Profession: Traveling Musician
Weapon: Cheap Banjo
Armor: Hand-Me-Down Tunic
Accessory: Clay Charm (+1 Def)

A-Ability: Notturno

+ Out-of-Tune Twang: Produces a short but horrible sound that hurts the ears. 110% Int damage. May cause enemy to be temporarily stunned. Range: 4 cells. Element: Neutral. 9 MP.

+ Lullaby: Produces a soft lullaby that lowers the enemy's guard, allowing the next strike to hit. User's next action is sure to hit the particular enemy. May lull enemy to sleep. Range: 3 cells. Element: Neutral. 12 MP.

R-Ability:
S-Ability: Counter Melody: When activated, boosts the lower stat (either Atk or Int) of the user by 15%.
X-Ability: Strain of Serpents: Through playing a winding melody, the user is able to summon serpents to attack the opponent. Chance of the opponent being poisoned. 100% Piercing Int Damage. Range: All enemies. Element: Nature.

~ Stats ~

HP: 20
MP: 25
Atk: 3
Def: 3 (Clay Charm +1)
Int: 4 (Cheap Banjo +1)
Spr: 3 (Hand-Me-Down Tunic +1)
Movement: 2 Cells (Traveling Musician Job +0)
X Gauge: {//////////}

Skill Points: 1

Upgrade Points: 1

Last edited by quackers are yummylicious on Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:58 pm; edited 8 times in total
quackers are yummylicious
Has Virgin Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Chiasma Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:04 pm

Base Stats will be given when a profile is accepted. Do not worry if you haven't understood everything, you are here to learn, and I am here to teach. There are just three issues in your profile. First, damaging Skills are normally done with the offensive physical and magical Stats, which are Atk (Attack), or Int (Intellect). I am saying "normally" due to the fact there are situations where Def (Defense) based Damage is applicable in the context. However, "Out-of-Tune Twang" should go better with Int or Atk Damage, depending on the type of character you want to create.

The second issue is about the effect of said Skill. During battle, Fleeing would count as a form of Instant Death given the enemy is not bound to return in normal circumstances. That would drastically increase the MP Cost. I will tell you right now that the starting MP for characters is between 15 and 30. Which leads us to the last issue. I am the one who calculates MP for the sake of keeping the gameplay equally fair to everyone. Lullaby would be 12 MP in this case.

I am glad you are still willing to try this out. ^^

I will be waiting for other players to also post their beta profiles in case they also have doubts before proceeding.
Chiasma
Chiasma

Back to top Go down

Post by quackers are yummylicious Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:08 pm

Okay, thanks. Smile I'll do some editing later, I'm kinda brain-dead at the moment. DX
Has Virgin Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Book the Hero Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:28 pm

...Ok, I know I just posted a character here.
Book the Hero
Book the Hero
Forever a Book

Back to top Go down

Post by Chiasma Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:30 pm

Strange. Assuming you had him or her saved, why not try it again? ^^;
Chiasma
Chiasma

Back to top Go down

Post by Book the Hero Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:31 pm

...I'm going to have to type it all up again...
Book the Hero
Book the Hero
Forever a Book

Back to top Go down

Post by Eebit Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:33 pm

Name: Alissa ‘Lissa’ Diomke
Appearance:
Spoiler:

Profession: Spirit Invoker - The one who claims this profession is chaser of spirits, and one who attempts to capture them for future use of invocation. [ATK-Based Basic Attack] [Equips: Snaring Staves]
Weapon: Pitchfork - A dual-purpose weapon which is used to both snare spirits, AND weed your garden! [ATK +1]
Armor: Dusty Dress - A dress which has faded drastically in colour, and was clearly coated in a thin layer of dust when the wearer found it. [DEF +1]
Accessory: Luna Pendant - This family heirloom takes the shape of a crescent moon, and gives the wearer protection from otherworldly powers. [SPR +1]

A-Ability: Spiritual Incantations

+ Spirit Pyre: Using the power of the channeled spirits that she has caught, Lissa sends forth a small flame in order to burn her opponent. 110% INT Damage. Chance of Burn. Range: 3 Cells. Element: Fire. 9 MP.

+ Ghost Blade: Transmuting the power graced upon her by the snared spirits, Lissa forges a powerful blade formed entirely of the spirit matter in order to gouge her enemies. 120% ATK Damage. Chance of Wound. Range: 2 Cells. Element: Darkness. 9 MP.

R-Ability: N/A
S-Ability: Mental Clarity - Thanks to years of rigorous training for her profession, Lissa is unaffected by all mental status conditions.
X-Ability: Snare of Spirits: Lissa raises her snaring staff, in an effort to catch the otherworldly presence in the room. Through invoking her Mana, she is able to capture the essence of her opponents as well, as she swings the oversized weapon around the room, sealing her enemies. 100% Piercing ATK Damage. High Chance of Stop. Range: All Enemies. Element: Darkness.

~ Stats ~

MP: 25
ATK: 5 (Pitchfork +1)
DEF: 3 (Dusty Dress +1)
INT: 3
SPR: 2 (Luna Pendant +1)
Movement: 2 Cells (Spirit Invoker Job +0)
X-Gauge:
{//////////}

Skill Points: 1
Upgrade Points: 2

Update Log:

Last edited by Eebit on Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Eebit
Eebit
The Flowerman

http://www.zejroleplaying.org/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post by Chiasma Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:35 pm

Oh. Pardon my language, but damn. For future reference, I always copy and paste my characters to a notepad .txt in case I happen to lose them. Well, it should not be that much work given you only need to fill 50% of the profile sheet. On this note, welcome to the tutorial, Book.
Chiasma
Chiasma

Back to top Go down

Post by Book the Hero Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:39 pm

Name: Jet Michaels
Appearance: Tall, white, short blonde hair, and brown eyes. Wears a suit of armor, and carries around a sword a sword, all of which have runes inscribed on them

Profession: Magic Knight
Weapon: Rune Sword
Armor: Rune Armor
Accessory: Fierce Band (+1 Atk)

A-Ability: Balanced Fighting

+ Slash: A quick slash aimed at the enemy, using the user's sword. 130% Atk Damage. Range: 2 Cells. Element: Neutral. 8 MP.

+ Lightning: A basic Lightning-Elemental spell. Strikes the enemy with a bolt of lightning, fired from the user's weapon. 110% Int Damage. Chance of Paralysis. Range: 4 Cells. Element: Lightning. 11 MP.

R-Ability:
S-Ability: Mana Surge: When Activated, the user recovers 15% Max MP every Turn for 5 Turns. One-Use.
X-Ability: Lightning Stab: The user charger's their blade with Lightning magic, before stabbing at their foe with a quick, and powerful stab. 100% Int and 100% Atk damage. 4 cells. High Chance of Paralysis. Element: Lightning.

~ Stats ~

MP: 20
Atk: 5 (Rune Sword +1)(Fierce Band +1)
Def: 2 (Rune Armor +1)
Int: 5
Spr: 2
Movement: 2 Cells (Magic Knight Job +1)

Last edited by Book the Hero on Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:48 pm; edited 5 times in total
Book the Hero
Book the Hero
Forever a Book

Back to top Go down

Post by Chiasma Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:42 pm

Everything seems to be fine. Lightning is 11 MP.
Chiasma
Chiasma

Back to top Go down

Post by Book the Hero Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:44 pm

K.
Book the Hero
Book the Hero
Forever a Book

Back to top Go down

Post by Chiasma Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:58 pm

We shall proceed now. For future alterations to your profiles, please refrain from posting them again, and instead edit them accordingly. Out-of-Tune Twang is now 9 MP.

"R-Ability" stands for Reaction Ability. It is a special type of Ability which activates in response to a certain action or event. It does not necessarily involve a counter, as it can include other concepts such as increasing Stats, recovering HP or MP, and so on. Unfortunately, you cannot start with an R-Ability, so you should leave the field blank for now. The rather simple process of acquiring one will be detailed later on. One is allowed to have up to three R-Abilities with only one taking effect at a time. Examples of R-Abilities are the following:

R-Ability: Swift Mug: When the user is attacked physically, steals an Item from the attacker.

R-Ability: Natural Immunity: When the user is afflicted with a Negative Status Condition, the user becomes immune to that affliction for the duration of the battle.

R-Ability: Final Attempt: When the user takes fatal damage, he or she may use a Skill with no MP Cost before being KO'd.

"S-Ability" stands for Support Ability. It is an Ability which is designed to, redundantly, support a character with a variety of effects that can either benefit the user passively, or be activated manually. S-Abilities can range from a simple modifier to Base Stats to strengthen your character, to a specific immunity to an Element, to a one-use trigger which restores the user's current MP. Like R-Abilities, you are allowed to acquire more of these with the very same process. You are also allowed to start with one, have a maximum of five with only two taking effect at a time. Examples of S-Abilities are the following:

S-Ability: Precise Strike: Basic Attacks have an increased Critical Hit Ratio.

S-Ability: Innate Strength: Passively increases Atk by 15%.

S-Ability: Mana Surge: When Activated, the user recovers 15% Max MP every Turn for 5 Turns. One-Use.

"X-Ability" is the equivalent to a last resort technique. It has the power to pierce through enemies' defenses, and instantly KO any enemy with less than 50% Max HP. However, it has limitations. It can only be executed once your character reaches 10/10 X Levels in his or her X Gauge. I will go more in depth about the X Gauge later, however. Using it also decreases the general Experience Gain by a slight bit. This is to prevent the mass, nonstrategic use of X-Abilities. X-Abilities which target only one enemy will inflict 200% Piercing Atk or Int Damage, ones with an Area of Effect will inflict 150% Piercing Atk or Int Damage, and ones affecting the entire enemy party will inflict 100% Piercing Atk or Int Damage. You are also allowed to apply custom effects to this technique, but do not go overboard. Refer to Alissa's X-Ability for an example.

Lastly, we get to Stats.

HP: Health Points. Reaching 25% Max HP will create a special Status Condition called Critical on your character, and reaching 0 or less will result in KO.
MP: Mana Points. They are required to use Skills, and once you reach an unusable amount, you won't be able to use Skills anymore and so you will have to resort to MP-Restoring Items.
Atk: Attack Points. Physical Offense.
Def: Defense Points. Physical Defense.
Int: Intellect Points. Magical Offense.
Spr: Spirit Points. Magical Defense.
Movement: Movement Points. This Stat determines the amount of Cells your character is allowed to travel per Turn.
X Gauge: The X Gauge is represented as a meter divided in ten individual points, which are called X Levels. Basic Attacking, using Skills, defeating enemies are events which increase X Levels, while being afflicted with Status Conditions or taking massive damage decrease X Levels. Upon reaching 10/10 X Levels, one will be able to unleash one's X Ability.

That should be all for the profile sheet. Do not worry about the Stats, as I will set them myself.
Chiasma
Chiasma

Back to top Go down

Post by Book the Hero Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:04 am

So...all we have to do is wait for you to apply the stats?
Book the Hero
Book the Hero
Forever a Book

Back to top Go down

Post by Chiasma Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:07 am

Sorry, it seems like I forgot about Skill Points. These are a vital adition to a Statistical Roleplay. Skill Points are awarded whenever a character Levels Up, and are used specifically to PURCHASE Abilities. A-Abilities (Skills) cost 1 SP, S-Abilities cost 2 SP and R-Abilities cost 3 SP.

Given you have filled the S- and X-Ability fields, then yes, I will apply the Base Stats for that character.
Chiasma
Chiasma

Back to top Go down

Post by Book the Hero Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:08 am

K, I'll do that now.
Book the Hero
Book the Hero
Forever a Book

Back to top Go down

Post by Book the Hero Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:14 am

Done.
Book the Hero
Book the Hero
Forever a Book

Back to top Go down

Post by Chiasma Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:28 am

When I said "example", I meant for it to just be an example. ^^;

Anyway, there is just one issue with the X-Ability. "Single Target" means the Range is "Infinite", and so I would like for the Damage Output to be decreased to 150% Piercing Damage, whichever Stat you are using because you did not specify. Otherwise, it is fine.

MP: 20
Atk: 4 (Rune Sword +1)(Fierce Band +1)
Def: 2 (Rune Armor +1)
Int: 3
Spr: 2
Movement: 2 Cells (Magic Knight Job +1)
Chiasma
Chiasma

Back to top Go down

Post by Book the Hero Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:32 am

Oops, I forgot to put down "4 cells."
Book the Hero
Book the Hero
Forever a Book

Back to top Go down

Post by Book the Hero Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:50 am

Well, I'm done.
Book the Hero
Book the Hero
Forever a Book

Back to top Go down

Post by Chiasma Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:41 pm

Will anyone else send a profile? I will warn you now you won't be allowed to directly participate in the combat lessons if you haven't finished a character for this.
Chiasma
Chiasma

Back to top Go down

Post by quackers are yummylicious Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:53 pm

I need stats still, unless you want me to put the ones that you posted above. I don't think so, though, so I'm a bit confused. D;
Has Virgin Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Chiasma Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:22 pm

Oh? I cannot provide you your character's Base Stats until you fill an X-Ability. I was waiting for that.
Chiasma
Chiasma

Back to top Go down

Post by quackers are yummylicious Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:06 am

I didn't fill out an X Ability? -hangs head- Sorry, I'll do that after school. Thought I had.
Has Virgin Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by quackers are yummylicious Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:22 pm

There, I think I got it now. x_x
Has Virgin Eyes

Back to top Go down