Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An addition to the rules? No Mary Sues...

3 posters

Go down

An addition to the rules? No Mary Sues... Empty An addition to the rules? No Mary Sues...

Post by EmikoTsune Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:58 pm

Well, no one was online while I was posting (it's all the time zone difference's fault, sigh), so I wasn't too sure if I should post my suggestion in the rules thread (Lesson 2, by the way) or here.

I was surprised to see that there wasn't a rule on Mary Sues. Mary Sues, essentially, are so called "perfect characters". However, they need not be perfect to become a Sue. Usually, it's a very flat, unoriginal character with copy-paste traits all over the place, or a very unrealistic, almighty character. In the case of guy characters that are call Gray Stus, they are very similar to their female counterparts. There's another type of unrealistically flat character: Anti-Sue and Anti-Stu. In short, these are characters that a laden with so many flaws in hopes that they won't become a Sue/Stu. However, it fails, resulting in a reverse version of Sue/Stu.

I admit I am suggesting this out of annoyance at several previous roleplay sites that I have participated in. I may not have much roleplaying experience (only 4 years with lots of breaks from RPing) or much variety in my roleplaying (well, so far, I've only done realistic, fantasy, romance, adventure, and a few 'just-jump-in's), but I'm sure I've been in the original character creation department long enough to realize the Sues, Stus, Anti-Sues, and Anti-Stus can ruin a good roleplay or story (and irritate readers and other players, too).

My suggestion may be ignored; I don't mind, since after a look at some OOC threads, I don't think there's danger of unrealistic characters. But if anyone is interested, they can search up a Mary Sue Litmus Test and test their character (though it'd be more helpful to have real people's opinions on a character; the tests, I admit, don't help much because it's so generic, they simply diagnose your characters for Sue Syndrome, haha).

Thank you for reading~
EmikoTsune
EmikoTsune

http://www.lexiiie.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

An addition to the rules? No Mary Sues... Empty Re: An addition to the rules? No Mary Sues...

Post by quackers are yummylicious Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:07 pm

That's not in the rules? /failfailfail

Blargh, we tend to call people out on that anyway. xD Don't fret, we all tend to recognize Sues~ I'm just surprised it wasn't in the rules. Neutral
quackers are yummylicious
Has Virgin Eyes

Back to top Go down

An addition to the rules? No Mary Sues... Empty Re: An addition to the rules? No Mary Sues...

Post by EmikoTsune Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:10 am

Yay, I'm glad. As long as people realize it, that's great. XD
The last RP site I was at had hypocritical mods who were all "OMFG <insert lower ranked user here> WHY DID YOU CREATE A SUUUUUUUE???" yet, their own characters were the only ones "allowed" to have special powers and whatnot. Plus, they were godmodders with no respect for other roleplayers (like...making their character have an accident or run away or knock the other characters out cold just to end the rp). When I finally learned how they violated so many of their own rules, I didn't roleplay there anymore. :/
EmikoTsune
EmikoTsune

Back to top Go down

Post by quackers are yummylicious Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:19 am

I like to think that we all have respect for each other. Most of us have RPed together before. Anybody can call anybody out, and I'm pretty sure I'm only mod to keep the peace (even though the only disturbances usually involve me |D).
Has Virgin Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by EmikoTsune Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:23 am

Ah, that's good. I guess the site's theme really fits the idea of a relatively peaceful forum, or at least that's what it feels like. Cx
EmikoTsune
EmikoTsune

Back to top Go down

Post by Rose Hathaway Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:54 pm

I actually never thought of it. I'll go and edit it now, and include a link to a test. Thank you for your suggestion! This is actually a very good idea!
Rose Hathaway
Rose Hathaway
The Queen

Mood : Regal, and you?

https://magnoliaroleplays.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Post by EmikoTsune Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:28 pm

Yay, I'm glad you think so. Cat Smile
EmikoTsune
EmikoTsune

Back to top Go down

Post by Rose Hathaway Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:53 pm

quackers are yummylicious wrote:I like to think that we all have respect for each other. Most of us have RPed together before. Anybody can call anybody out, and I'm pretty sure I'm only mod to keep the peace (even though the only disturbances usually involve me |D).

We made you mod because we thought you'd do a good job. Mayari is Annoyed
Often Mayari and I aren't around for something, and you're there, so you can snag it faster than we can.
Rose Hathaway
Rose Hathaway
The Queen

Mood : Regal, and you?

https://magnoliaroleplays.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down