Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Favorite tropes you like to see in characters?

+3
quackers are yummylicious
Shadoe Mayari
Rose Hathaway
7 posters

Go down

Favorite tropes you like to see in characters? Empty Favorite tropes you like to see in characters?

Post by Rose Hathaway Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:52 pm

What tropes, or patterns, do you like to see in other people's characters when roleplaying? Which ones do you like to use?

Discuss.
Rose Hathaway
Rose Hathaway
The Queen

Mood : Regal, and you?

https://magnoliaroleplays.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Favorite tropes you like to see in characters? Empty Re: Favorite tropes you like to see in characters?

Post by Shadoe Mayari Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:00 am

Berserk Buttons. Especially when they're played for laughs. Cat Smile
Shadoe Mayari
Shadoe Mayari
Asian Axolotl Pirate Addlez

Mood : Awesome, as always.

http://shadoemayari.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Favorite tropes you like to see in characters? Empty Re: Favorite tropes you like to see in characters?

Post by quackers are yummylicious Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:01 am

My characters tend to be tsunderes... =_= Or completely fucking mental. I need to break that...
Has Virgin Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Book the Hero Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:10 pm

Suvi, the thing about a Tsundere, is that there has to be a Dere side, not just a Tsun side.

/shot /jk

Anyways, I like it when characters actually try to think and rationalize, instead of jumping to the first assumption. After the first time, it stops being funny, and I believe it's a must have trait if you want to make an intellectual character.
Book the Hero
Book the Hero
Forever a Book

Back to top Go down

Post by quackers are yummylicious Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:16 pm

Heidi's type A, where the tsun outweighs the dere. So is Quil.
The problem with your reasoning is A.) few people actually stop to think all but a few important decisions through, B.) people aren't logical by nature, and C.) not everyone is smart. If everyone had the same degree of intelligence, that would be a lameass RP. Also, being smart doesn't always mean logically thinking. There are more than one ways to be smart.
Has Virgin Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Rose Hathaway Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:43 pm

quackers are yummylicious wrote:Heidi's type A, where the tsun outweighs the dere. So is Quil.
The problem with your reasoning is A.) few people actually stop to think all but a few important decisions through, B.) people aren't logical by nature, and C.) not everyone is smart. If everyone had the same degree of intelligence, that would be a lameass RP. Also, being smart doesn't always mean logically thinking. There are more than one ways to be smart.

Agreed.
There is book smart, logic smart, and street smart, and maybe a few other things. I'm crap at street smart, and I'm crappier at logic smart, but I will kick ass at book smart.
Rose Hathaway
Rose Hathaway
The Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by quackers are yummylicious Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:08 pm

Thanks, Rose. Book never replies when we get into these discussions. It makes me sad when he won't admit that I'm right. D; [jk, I'm not always right. Just usually. 8D]
Has Virgin Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Rose Hathaway Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:10 pm

Haha, no problem.
Rose Hathaway
Rose Hathaway
The Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Book the Hero Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:27 pm

Suvi, I choose not respond to these kinds of things, cause I hate arguing with you and the others from TiNa. All it does is bring me grief, even when I'm the one who's right.

So do not expect me to respond to any reply you come up with.
Book the Hero
Book the Hero
Forever a Book

Back to top Go down

Post by quackers are yummylicious Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:37 am

Book, you fail to realize that you shouldn't believe you're right unless you can argue your point. Plus, I'm a big girl, and I can be mature about arguments. I don't really give a fuck if you prove me wrong, as long as I understand why I am and it makes sense. Until you explain your points, I will continue to treat everything you say that I don't agree with like bullshit, simply because you have given me no reasons as to why I am wrong. Just saying you're right proves nothing, and also reduces my respect for you as a person.
So defend your opinion and actually gain some respect. Hiding from the world won't make your opinion right, you giving logical reasons for it makes your opinion right.
Has Virgin Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Rose Hathaway Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:37 pm

Favorite tropes you like to see in characters? Scarjo_popcorn

I'm a terrible admin for posting this, right, Mayari?
Rose Hathaway
Rose Hathaway
The Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Shadoe Mayari Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:03 pm

Rose wrote:I'm a terrible admin for posting this, right, Mayari?
-pats- It's okay.

...I think I enjoy making my characters go Ax Crazy. Cat Smile
Shadoe Mayari
Shadoe Mayari

Back to top Go down

Post by Book the Hero Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:32 pm

I enjoy invoking Big Damn Heroes.

I also have a tendency to use Beats a lot.
Book the Hero
Book the Hero
Forever a Book

Back to top Go down

Post by Rose Hathaway Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:20 pm

I like Purple Eyes and Red Oni/Blue Oni.
Rose Hathaway
Rose Hathaway
The Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by MrMissMrs Random Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:01 am

A lot of my characters have Blue Eyes, and what I've seen is that in certain cases people either respect them more than other characters or hate their guts. XD
MrMissMrs Random
MrMissMrs Random

Back to top Go down

Post by Rose Hathaway Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:56 pm

Attention Whores are fun. I am one. Cat Smile
Rose Hathaway
Rose Hathaway
The Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Rose Hathaway Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:17 pm

I'm using Four Temperament Ensemble in a book I'm writing. XD
Rose Hathaway
Rose Hathaway
The Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by MrMissMrs Random Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:13 pm

I know this derives from the threads usual... but Paul reminds me of The Gunslinger trope. Smile
MrMissMrs Random
MrMissMrs Random

Back to top Go down

Post by Book the Hero Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:15 pm

We have tvtropes pages for RPs in the OOC threads.

Unless that RP doesn't have one yet, in which case, you can make one.
Book the Hero
Book the Hero
Forever a Book

Back to top Go down

Post by EmikoTsune Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:03 am

Hmmm.... There's quite a list for my characters. Tsundere, Kuudere, Dandere, Yandere, Yangire, Red/Blue Oni, Big Fat Sword (or other weapons...), Berserk Buttons, Deadpan Snarker, For Me It Was Tuesday, Idiot Hero... There was too many to remember; I spend a lot of time on the site. It's awesome.
EmikoTsune
EmikoTsune

http://www.lexiiie.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Shadoe Mayari Sat May 26, 2012 11:46 pm

Trolling Creator FTW.
Shadoe Mayari
Shadoe Mayari

Back to top Go down

Post by ExtravagantEvil Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:32 pm

@ Quackers: It could be easily argued on either side the tendency for logic that humans have, which gives us an entire plethora of philosophical debate topics.

For instance: due to the nature of the human survival instinct we do act in logical manners, concerning baser instincts.
You are hungry? Fix it with food? Get food, not hungry.
I'm not well versed in the arguing of the inherent logic of people, but I know it can be made, because humans are rational organisms, we can categorize mathematically and qualify things beyond whimsy.

However, I personally side on the Nietzsche side of human irrationality, and how we value things based on want rather than actual logical success, ambition, or requirement.

On Topic:
I personally like characters that fall under 2 kinds generally:
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/LoveableRogue, Loveable Rogues, and http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Swashbuckler
Swashbucklers, or the Rationalist kind of person that tends to fall to being the Stoic (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheStoic), and are very orderly, distant, and often also, the Sage and the Philosophers, and hyper philosophical and religious characters (due to my lack there of)
ExtravagantEvil
ExtravagantEvil

Back to top Go down

Post by quackers are yummylicious Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:58 pm

I've never really thought about survival instincts as part of "logic," but I can see where that would come from. No one would really say that a fly is logical. but it has survival instincts, too.

Maybe at the base of it all, humans are rational creatures, but that seems to buried very deep. After all, look at the world today. If people thought things through more, then we would probably have a cleaner environment.

/totally off topic ;-;
Has Virgin Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by ExtravagantEvil Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:15 pm

No need to worry, it still applies to characters and their ramifications on the worlds they are present in at large ;D.

How to get away with things:
Make it sound like it applies, and be smart doing it Very Happy.

I'll do more research and post a better argument for it, it is one of the general assumptions of Kantian theory, that we Can think through things.

Can and Do are different phrases entirely, and can optimize our decisions for the best possible out come. However, (as Nietzsche advocated) often don't. This idea that they Can reach these conclusions is the argument for the logical nature of people, in that we can reach the best possible end result.

Simple enough
ExtravagantEvil
ExtravagantEvil

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down