Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"#cut4bieber"

3 posters

Go down

"#cut4bieber" Empty "#cut4bieber"

Post by Eebit Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:17 am

Okay so, I don't know how exposed this is (or whether it was acknowledged on Skype as I only go on so much), but today I saw a Twitter trend that absolutely rattled me hard. Brittany posted about it on her blog (which you should totally go check out over here), but I figured that it warranted discussion, as it has been quite a buzz all day.

The premise, as far as I know, is that Justin Bieber was caught smoking weed, and apparently people decided that cutting themselves in protest of it was the way to go. Hence the trend, as the army of Beliebers stormed that to the top as with most other teenage celebrities. Naturally, there are also the people getting in on the trend that are very vehemently opposed to it, but still pushing it to the top for notoriety, and the whole thing goes so far out of proportion so quickly.

Personally, I find it (foremost) appalling. The fact that something like this originated in the first place is simply pathetic and illogical. It makes no sense to me, the connotation between the two. Drugs and self-harm? I see literally zero connection between the two. I know a friend who has struggled with issues like this and I found it abhorrent that people would be willing to hurt themselves over a celebrity who very likely will not acknowledge their existence, ever. No matter how much they tweet or how desperate they are. It's sickening to see that so many people would hurt themselves simply for that; recognition. I will never understand that sort of obsessive fandom.

If you want to see some of the damage, inside of the spoiler below is the image that Brittany posted on her blog, so you can see it there as well.

VERY MUCH NSFW, GRAPHIC IMAGES:

So, I'd like to know what you guys think of the whole thing. Discuss away, and keep in mind that we are in the Serious Debates thread (I won't deny that funny parodies have been spawned from this, but please keep it serious, at least in here).
Eebit
Eebit
The Flowerman

http://www.zejroleplaying.org/index.php

Back to top Go down

"#cut4bieber" Empty Re: "#cut4bieber"

Post by Rose Hathaway Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:51 am

It also could be a massive troll unleashed by 4chan. But I did go and look up the accounts, and they do exist.

I believe you have probably read my opinion on the matter, since you linked it in the OP, but I'll just say that the idolization of celebrities has gone stupidly far. Idolization and hatred too. Sending death threats to Taylor Swift because she's dating Harry Styles or whatever his name is? You're kidding me, right?

Allow me to use an example. Jensen Ackles is a gorgeous guy on Supernatural. He's married and just announced his wife is pregnant. I'm very happy for the both of them, I'm sure they'll be great parents. I would never dream of telling her to abort the baby or something and kill herself because I wanted to be with Jensen. That's too far. Way too far. And those pictures, if they are indeed real, I hope that they realize how dumb they were when someone asks them where they got those scars and say "Oh, my favorite singer did drugs and so I protested."
Rose Hathaway
Rose Hathaway
The Queen

Mood : Regal, and you?

https://magnoliaroleplays.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Post by CodastertheDisaster Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:10 pm

While I'm definitely not an expert, I can say that the blood/cuts look fake.
Having sustained cuts on my arms before, I can honestly say the sheer amount of wounds, blood, and proximity to vital blood vessels in the wrist could be fatal. Losing that much blood and still having color in the skin? No. And blood doesn't bubble up like that. It's not as adhesive as water. It would run more. Although the top right looks somewhat believable. The scars look natural and her skin is pale. Regardless...

Fake fake fake fake fake fake fake fake fake fake fake
I'm done with that.

However, I am also appalled by the thought of self-harm just because a celebrity smoked weed. Sure, he's not a role model anymore, or rather, not a very good one, but if he chose to do that, then it's his fault, and no amount of horrendous actions will change what a celebrity does because he most likely doesn't even acknowledge their existence.
But if the little shits want to kill themselves, let them. The world doesn't need dipshits that cut themselves over a celebrity they're creepily obsessed with.
CodastertheDisaster
CodastertheDisaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum