Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dungeons and Dragons: High Fantasy and Daring Do anyone? :D ALWAYS OPEN

5 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Dungeons and Dragons: High Fantasy and Daring Do anyone? :D ALWAYS OPEN Empty Dungeons and Dragons: High Fantasy and Daring Do anyone? :D ALWAYS OPEN

Post by ExtravagantEvil Mon May 28, 2012 5:40 am

Welcome, I am here offering to run a game of Dungeons and Dragons for any one who wants in. However, there must be at least 3, but no more than 6 players involved for this to work (it's a group kind of game)

My Job will be the Dungeon Master, he who controls the world, and everyone who is not you specifically. I control the environment, the Monsters, the Kings, Archbishops, evil wizards, and hand out Experience Points and Loot.

In other words: In this Environment and in the Game World, A God am I. I am very cooperative and lenient so have no fear on this front. By the Way: this is going to be a High Fantasy Game, Elves, Wizards, etc. and so forth.
I am not a Player among you guys, I may have people accompany you, but I am more a ubiquitous all controlling presence

This is a statistical Roleplay, and after we finalize the interest check it will be hosted there. and if there are any veterans (other than myself) who would like to help teach new players throughout the time we'd be playing it would be helpful.

First: I know most of you do not have the requisite dice on hand (4 sided, 8 or 10 or 12 and 20 sided dice) so here is a dice roller

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/dice/dice.htm

and I ask that all Player Characters (you guys) involved abide by an honor system, so just type what you would roll as necessary.

Here is a website with all the rules Player characters to know, but I do not expect, or ask or even hope that you will know ALL the rules, nor do I expect you to read so much as half the information in that web page.

http://www.d20srd.org/

You can use anything on that site in terms of Races, Classes, etc. That site will list the basic structure the game runs on, has all the details, skills, minor numerics, etc.

http://www.myth-weavers.com/forumhome.php this site is good to get an account on, and make a character sheet under D&D 3.5

------------------------------------------------

Now: Read this. it is important
This game is a lot simpler than I made it appear. I know I have bombarded vast amounts of information, resources, etc. for an opening post to a virgin audience. The system works on a very, Very VERY simple basis that devolves to just knowing what numbers to add in a 2+2 = 4 sense.

You roll a 20-sider (herein referred to as 1d20 1= number of dice rolled, d is abbreviation for dice, and the number to the right of "d" is what Kind of dice it is) and add the numbers that apply.

so in practice it is 1d20 + X. and if X equals a target number that varies on the situation, task, after getting other things applied to that "X" depending on circumstances and personal aptitude, you succeed.

After that it is just knowing what Numbers you get and when to use them, and it is all very basic or spelled out in the SRD, if still unsure, I will be glad to inform so do not feel nervous about asking for Any advice.

This is honestly, an Amazing hobby, and it can be quite tense, action packed and just as exciting/interesting as a regular free form kind of roleplay.

This is getting quite lengthy Shocked so I'll continue commentating and handling details later.

Last edited by ExtravagantEvil on Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
ExtravagantEvil
ExtravagantEvil

Back to top Go down

Dungeons and Dragons: High Fantasy and Daring Do anyone? :D ALWAYS OPEN Empty Re: Dungeons and Dragons: High Fantasy and Daring Do anyone? :D ALWAYS OPEN

Post by Book the Hero Mon May 28, 2012 2:47 pm

I'm in.

Always wanted to try DnD.
Book the Hero
Book the Hero
Forever a Book

Back to top Go down

Dungeons and Dragons: High Fantasy and Daring Do anyone? :D ALWAYS OPEN Empty Re: Dungeons and Dragons: High Fantasy and Daring Do anyone? :D ALWAYS OPEN

Post by ExtravagantEvil Tue May 29, 2012 11:14 pm

Is there any further interest on this?

It is still open for all interested, if not, then I...could...place it down to a solo game, if you don't mind, Book.
ExtravagantEvil
ExtravagantEvil

Back to top Go down

Post by Book the Hero Tue May 29, 2012 11:51 pm

We could start with one, and then let others join as we go along...
Book the Hero
Book the Hero
Forever a Book

Back to top Go down

Post by ExtravagantEvil Wed May 30, 2012 7:34 am

Fair enough:

Now: Here's how character generation works and some of the things you may have found on the SRD, which I hope you've read somewhat:

There are 6 ability scores, all of which are very self explanatory.

Strength, Dexterity, Constitution, Intelligence, Wisdom and Charisma.

These are the foundations of your characters natural disposition towards certain activities, like lifting, or spell casting, or looting stuff and theft, to whipping up crowds, etc.

You determine your ability scores, by rolling 6 sets of 4d6, and take the best 3, and add them together.

Ex. I'm rolling up a character, take out 4 6 siders (or use the dice roller link I provided) and roll a 6, a 5, a 2, and a 4.

I ignore the 2, and add 6+5+4 = 15.

Each of these scores come with a modifier, which is how it works in the
1d20 result + X nature of the game.

After you roll these numbers, set them aside for now.
Do not assign them anywhere yet.

Because, I want to know what kind of character you'd want to play, and at this point, after having rolled your scores, should look through the Classes section of the SRD.

Classes have various features, special abilities, etc. that represent what sets you apart from others in an adventuring party, defines your role, and is a way of representing what it is your character can do in terms of the universe.

A Class is a means to an end, and represents the Archetype you want to represent.

These features are often keyed on certain ability scores.
A Paladin's Smite for instance, is keyed on Charisma, as it requires intense force of will to channel your deities wrath onto evil creatures.

Also, look over the Races available in the SRD site, do some google images and choose which ever one you like.

As you look over the classes, you'll start to see certain things stand out that are similar in how they are formatted, and things all classes have.

Hit Dice: Whenever you gain a level, this is the dice you roll to determine how many hit points you get.

Specifically it is the result of the die, plus your Constitution modifier.

At first level you get the maximum on the die, this is only for 1st level as a whole, not for your first level in a new class.

Ex. 1st level fighter, 1d10 hit dice with a Constitution of 14 = 10 +2 = 12!

Base Attack Bonus: This is your archetypes presumed combat ability.
Every time you go up a level, your Base Attack bonus represents how your archetype is in direct combat situations.

You use your Base Attack Bonus (BAB) when making attack rolls.

An attack Roll using the following modifiers, numbers, etc.

1d20+BAB+Str(or Dex) modifier + Misc. Bonuses.

Strength is normally for melee attacks while Dexterity is typically ranged.
You can replace Strength with Dexterity for your melee weapons by picking up something called weapon finesse. That is something I'll go into later.

Lastly, for this post anyway, you'll see something Labeled
Fort, Ref, Will, or something akin to that.

These are your saving throw bonuses, and represent how good your archetype is presumed for shaking off certain effects.

Fortitude, represents Disease Resistance, Poisons, resisting Nausea, etc.

Will represents your ability to avoid having another's will magically supplant yours, and seeing through Illusions.

Reflex represents your ability to dodge things like Fireballs

You add your Constitution Modifier to Fortitude Saves, your Wisdom modifier to Will Saves, and your Dexterity Modifier to reflex saves.

This is all also with the Bonus listed.

So a Level 1 Rogue, has a Base Reflex Save of 2, and a Dexterity of 13.

Base Save + Dexterity modifier = 2 + 1 = 3.

Any questions?
ExtravagantEvil
ExtravagantEvil

Back to top Go down

Post by Book the Hero Wed May 30, 2012 9:33 am

No, I believe I get it, mostly.

7, 14, 17, 11, 17, 8.

I desire to play a Half-Elf Wizard, after having reviewed the classes and races.
Book the Hero
Book the Hero
Forever a Book

Back to top Go down

Post by ExtravagantEvil Wed May 30, 2012 5:24 pm

Perfectly acceptable Smile.

Now that that's decided, I'll give you some advice/warnings concerning scores in conjunction with wizard.

Reading through it I presume you understand that a wizard requires high Intelligence to cast spells, and fortunately you have a couple of high scores to play around with.

Next, something big about wizards and "arcan" casters in general, there is a thing called arcane spell failure chance if you were not already awar, this is caused by you wearing any kind of armor. Exceptit's mithril, but that'll be later on ad is too expensive for a level 1 character.

So expect to wear no armor for the longest time.

This leads to my next point in elaborating on the rules,
Armor class or AC, represents how hard you are to hit and damage, and is based on either the size if your armor, or the natural quickness you have at dodging attacks.

AC is equal to 10 + armor bonuses + shield bonuses + dexterity modifier + whatever elseapplies like natural armor and such.

Skill Points: these represent what you've learned in life, naturally talented areas and so on that an archetype would be expected to have.
It says this under the class, something like
(2+int mod) x4 at first level, 2+ INT Mod.

These represent the number of skillnpoints you get per level, with you starting off with a lot more than you'll gain as you level, the first level clause is the same rule as with hit points.

With these skill points you by skill ranks. These represent training and practice in a subject matter, or expertise.
The number of ranks you can have in any one skill is = to your level +3.
So being first level, you can put 4 ranks into any skill, at 2nd level it is 5

There are 2 kinds of skills, class and cross class skills.

Whenever you gain a level in a class there are certain skills listed, like Knowledge, Jump, Disable Device, etc.
These are your class skills, these are facts and abilities in mundane tasks that are archetypal to your class, Wizards being knowledgeable, thieves Being Sneaky, Fighters being able to ride horses, etc.

Class skills are bought on a 1 skill point per 1 skill rank.

Cross class skills would be things not on the list shown in the class description, like a Wizard who is also an expert rock climber, and you only get half the skill ranks for paying one skill point, and you have a cap equal to half the cap for class skills.

Example: A wizard spends for 4 skill points for 4 ranks in knowledge engineering.
A fighter spends 4 skill points on the same skill and only gets 2 ranks.

I'll go into feats later.

On assigning ability scores, scores do effect how you role play your character,a low Constitution could indicate child hood sickness, or lack f exercise, or however you fluff it.
Low Charisma could be instead of antisocial issues, just being a jerkass etc.

So as you think of his personality, back story etc., assign your scres in a way that makes sense for that.

Also, did you see the specialization rules?
By Specializing in a school of magic you lose access to certain spell schools.
There are 8.

Abjuration: Shield and defensive magic, also good at shutting down Other magical effects.
Conjuration: Summoning Monsters, creating permanent items from thin air, battlefield control.
Divination: Figuring out what you cannot see with the naked eye.
Evocation: energy based attacks, lasers, fire, ice, sound, etc.Many evocationsts favor the mantra of "KILL IT WITH FIRE".
Enchantment: Manipulating your opponents minds by instilling thoughts and influencing actions an decision making.
Illusion: creating false images and warping ensoryperceptions
Necromancy: Raising the dead as zombies, and the dark debuffy side of magic
Transmutation: altering things that already exist

If you specialize you gain an extra spell slot per day f that school, but lose access to 2 other schools.
Diviners only lose 1 schoolto use.

And here are the modifiers fr your scores:
17 = +3
14 = +2
11 = +0
8 = -1
7 = - 2

ExtravagantEvil
ExtravagantEvil

Back to top Go down

Post by Book the Hero Wed May 30, 2012 6:55 pm

Ok

Int: 17 = +3
Wis: 17 = +3
Con: 14 = +2
Chr: 11 = +0
Dex: 8 = -1
Str: 7 = - 2

I choose to give up Necromancy, in exchange to be a Diviner.

Skills: 4 Concentration, 3 Craft, 3 Decipher Script, 3 Knowledge (Arcana), 3 Knowledge (Geography), 4 Spellcraft.
Book the Hero
Book the Hero
Forever a Book

Back to top Go down

Post by ExtravagantEvil Wed May 30, 2012 8:08 pm

Cool,
Two things so far:

1. Don't forget to include your Armor class, Saves, your HP, etc.,etc.

2. There is an ability score next to each of the skills, you add your mod. from that score to your skill checks to get the total bonus. That is something you don't want to forget.

We'll go to feats next, and I'll explain how Wizard Spells work, and then I want to spend some time focusing on Roleplaying aspects, instead of just hard boring numbers XD.

Okay, Feats are special tricks that you can pull off that others can't, they represent certain techniques and moves you can use, along with particular specialties that require training even among members of your class to achieve.

Think of them as Fallout's Perks.

Sometimes you get Bonus feats dependent on your class, but generally you get them at 1, 3, 6, 9, 12, 15, 18th level.

Some good feats for Casters are those that

Every feat has a prerequisite listed before it, and you must meet the prerequisite at the level you take the feat to get it.

A. Increase how difficult it is to resist your spells (more later)
B. Metamagic Feats, that increase the versatility of spells by raising their spell level, but enhancing their functions, like increasing the range or damage output.
C. Item Creation Feats, these let you spend Gold and XP to make magic items, if you have the spells in your spell book to make it.

You, as a Wizard, get one of them at 1st level, Scribe Scroll.
It's explained Here
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm

You can scribe scrolls of any spells in your spellbook.

and an excellent segue to your spell load out.

You have 2 things, your spells known and spells per day.

And there are 9 levels of spells (10 if you count cantrips).

0 level spells are cantrips, these are minor magical effects, like cleaning clothes or detecting magic in a vague kind of way.

9th level spells let you rework the fabric of existence at a moments whim and can break the game in half like a twig underneath a loaded dump truck.

Casters are fun Cool

In the Wizard Class Table it details your Spells per day, and you can only cast from spell levels with a number listed in them as part of the class's table.

You also get bonus spells per day based on your Intelligence Score.

Table Here
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/theBasics.htm#abilitiesAndSpellcasters

and don't forget that you get a bonus spell slot (space to prepare your spells in) for Divination spells of every level.

Your spells known are in the Text.
To Save you time,

You get access to All Cantrips, all of them, except those of Prohibited schools (so no necromancy ones),
and at 1st level of Wizard, you get access to 3 + Intelligence Modifier 1st level spells known.

At every other level you automatically gain 2 new spells to add to your spell book, of any level you can cast.

Also, you can scribe spells into your book with various scrolls, or just buying them in town, so in theory you Could get access to every spell in the game with a little loot investment and luck, well except Necromancy Spells.

So Choose your spells however you like, and 1 Feat of your choice from the SRD.

Now:What's his name? What's your characters backstory? His/Her Personality, and Most importantly, what is his Goal?
What leaves him invested in the World around him?
, What made him want to seek adventuring as a life choice?

As a side note: due to the squishy, squishy nature of wizards I'm tossing in a fighter in to both facilitate RP and to defend you with armor and steel.

ExtravagantEvil
ExtravagantEvil

Back to top Go down

Post by Book the Hero Wed May 30, 2012 8:35 pm

I choose Feather Fall, Magic Missile, Color Spray, Burning Hands, Charm Person, and Identify.

I also choose the Feat: Investigator.

AC: 9

HP: 11

Fort: 2

Ref: -1

Will: 5

Name: John Raven

Backstory: Was raised in a city, and for most of his life, was an apprentice until recently. He is now out to make a name for himself, and make his mark in history.
Book the Hero
Book the Hero
Forever a Book

Back to top Go down

Post by ExtravagantEvil Thu May 31, 2012 1:05 am

Question...

How'd you get 11 HP.
Wizards have d4 HD
Max of 4.
Constitution modifier of +2.

4 + 2 = 6...

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Okay, so standard adventurer Motivations, make a name for yourself.

How do you plan on doing that? What is the reason he wants to be famous, and what does he want to be famous for??

Any particular form of fame specifically? Their's a difference between Brittany Spears famous and Stephen Hawking Famous. You know?

I see you took the Investigator feat, what in John's life warranted that?
What were his Parents life, since you are a Half Breed and all this is a large question in terms of identity, and outlook.

What does he act like? How Far is too far for him in pursuit of his goals? What is he like to other people, Who is he as a person?

What was the city like that he was in?
A Port?
A Trade Stop?
A Metropolist?
Etc., etc.

Largely, the more details you give me, it
A. Helps me flesh out the world with new ideas and details I hadn't thought of
B. Helps create large investment in the character on both sides
C. Plot Hooks, tasty, tasty plot hooks.

After we settle on Personality, I'll introduce the highly argued and controversial thing that is, Alignment.
ExtravagantEvil
ExtravagantEvil

Back to top Go down

Post by Book the Hero Thu May 31, 2012 1:23 am

Oops...

HP: 6

He wants to be the kind of famous, where people will know of his story, many centuries later, like, Merlin famous. When John was an apprentice, his teacher always told him to keep an eye out for every detail, as magic is a very precise practice.

He's somewhat ambitious, but is over all a moral person, who will always try to do the right, and good thing. His father is a well respected merchant, who ended up marrying an elf. He grew up in a sort of Metropolis city, where there were a great variety of the many races coming and going for trade, a lot even settling there, so it wasn't unusual. His father had good standing in the city, and even dealed with the royal family who lived in the center of the city.

John desired to stop out of his father's shadow, and become one of the greatest wizard's of all time, eventually getting an apprenticeship with the court's head wizard. Most people treated him with respect, due to his father, and master, something he felt he didn't deserve, and wanted to earn himself.
Book the Hero
Book the Hero
Forever a Book

Back to top Go down

Post by ExtravagantEvil Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:59 am

Okay, that's interesting.

So with all this in mind, how does he treat other people generally? Given his background, and general views about himself, and what his life gave him, both the good and bad, how does this shape how he views the world as a whole, and through that, his interactions with everyone from shop owners to kings?

Lastly (before Loot XD)

Alignment.

Hoo boy...

Alignment is a mixture of one's Moral and Ethical attitudes, and stating whether they are good and evil, lawful or chaotic.

Alignment is an interesting and in gaming circles contraversial, due to the game system producing a black and white moral division in the universe.

Some argue that this leads to lack of realistic character moralities and more complex subject matter and causing large debates over the very nature of philosophy, deontological vs. virtue and consequential ethics etc, etc.

While others argue that it is useful as more of a tool and a reminder of how a PC generally acts, but not something to lord over and use to restrict players.

Regardless, Here is an excellent series of interpretations and analysis of each of the 9 alignments.

http://easydamus.com/alignment.html

And I also have my interpretations on what defines Law, Chaos, Good and Evil. Primarily the 1st 2 due to them being the most iffy.

Lawful in my games implies a Code. Not something always formal, and not always from God or Country, but things you Will not due except the circumstances are dire. You believe these restrictions in your behavior (and occasionally that of others) leads to order, general welfare, or your own personal gain. It also implies a sense of reliability, and the idea of being able to respect authorities that fall under your ethos and are agreeable with it.

Chaos is trickier to define:
It represents that you are your own man, the idea that you do what is necessary, and have no ethical compunctions, it also represents a rebellion against tradition and allowing for yourself to adapt, finding any long standing ban on something in your decisions process as a burden.
Chaos can be seen as adaptable, responsive, and a free thinker, but can also be seen as risky and at times unreliable, unless their crazy plan works out.

Choose an Alignment that fits your personality, and beliefs, not the other way around.

I'll help you with loot tomorrow, and later tonight post up the fighter that will accompany you, as a good "template" you might want to borrow for posting your character.

ExtravagantEvil
ExtravagantEvil

Back to top Go down

Post by Book the Hero Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:06 am

I've already though about this.

My choice is Neutral Good.
Book the Hero
Book the Hero
Forever a Book

Back to top Go down

Post by ExtravagantEvil Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:39 am

Makes perfect sense Smile , it's honestly what I'd have picked XD.

Here is your adventuring partner,

Sir Darak Vorpalsheen,
LG Dwarven Fighter 1
Str: 16 Dex: 15 Con: 18 Int: 10 Wis: 12 Cha: 6
Fort: +6(+2 v. poison) R: 2 W: 1
(+2 v. Spells)
HP: 14
AC: 18 (+2 Dex, +4 Chainshirt, +2 Heavy Shield)
BAB: +1
Melee: +4
Ranged: +3

Weapons:
Dwarven Waraxe 1d10+3 x2
Spiked Heavy Steel Shield 1d8+3

(Can make 2 attacks as full attack at +0/+0 with Axe and Shield)

Feats: Improved Shield Bash, Two Weapon Fighting
Skills: Craft (Blacksmith) +6, Know History +2

Loot: 7 days Rations, Backpack, Bedroll, Whetstone, Steel Mug (Ale), crowbar, 50ft Hemp rope.

-------------------------------------

And before we decide the loot tomorrow: 2 things:

1. How do you want to meet up with Darak?
Do you like the idea of you and him being perfect strangers who meet up and are forced to work together, travelling companions, or something in between?

2. In case I forgot to mention, you will have to prepare your spells in the morning after 8hrs. rest.
This means that once you choose how many slots you donate to particular spells (Ex. 2 slots to burning hands, 1 to identify, 1 to Color spray) you Cannot change these, and are the resources you'll have avaliable, every In game morning I'll ask whether you want to change your spell load out.
ExtravagantEvil
ExtravagantEvil

Back to top Go down

Post by Book the Hero Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:50 am

Yeah, Neutral so I'm not tied down to either Lawful or Chaotic, and focus mainly on doing good Very Happy.

I'd prefer the perfect strangers option, actually.

And yeah, I read about that when I was learning about the classes.
Book the Hero
Book the Hero
Forever a Book

Back to top Go down

Post by ExtravagantEvil Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:51 pm

I just want to say one thing,

Consider L or C as The paths one goes to achieve ones morals G, N or E.

Just wanted to make sure this is understood so there would be no misconceptions.

Good to know you understand the Wizard Mechanics.

Now: Loot!
It lists all the items and their costs on the SRD,
BUT
There are two options for how many gold you start with:

Deal or No Deal!!

One: Take 75gp and buy your stuff
Two: Roll 3d4 and multiply it by 10.

Also: your first set of clothes is free.
ExtravagantEvil
ExtravagantEvil

Back to top Go down

Post by Book the Hero Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:55 pm

My total is 100.
Book the Hero
Book the Hero
Forever a Book

Back to top Go down

Post by ExtravagantEvil Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:08 pm

Nice, that's a healthy gold piece count Very Happy .

So just go to the items section and buy what you need.

Recommended items (generally):

Backpack, Bedroll, Torches, Rations (weeks worth), a weapon that you're proficient with.

The rest, by fluffy stuff, cool items, etc. and save whatever you feel you need for later.
ExtravagantEvil
ExtravagantEvil

Back to top Go down

Post by Book the Hero Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:16 pm

Mind linking me to the list?

Can't seem to find it.

E: Nevermind, found it.
Book the Hero
Book the Hero
Forever a Book

Back to top Go down

Post by Book the Hero Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:36 pm

1 backpack, 1 bedroll, Rations (Weeks worth), 4 torches, Rope, Grappling hook, a Jug, 3 flasks, and a dagger.
Book the Hero
Book the Hero
Forever a Book

Back to top Go down

Post by ExtravagantEvil Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:20 pm

Okay, that's all well and good, I still want to do some planning over the next couple of days, finalize my general ideas for the campaign, and the villains I'm planning, so I say I'll have an OOC and IC Thread posted up in a couple of days hopefully, and we make this officially starting This Next Saturday.

SO just post a fully organized version of your character's statistics, and we can get this show on the road in a couple days, and chat back and forth while things get set up.
ExtravagantEvil
ExtravagantEvil

Back to top Go down

Post by Book the Hero Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:31 pm

Ok.
Book the Hero
Book the Hero
Forever a Book

Back to top Go down

Post by Book the Hero Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:35 pm

John Raven
NG Half-Elven Wizard 1
Int: 17 = +3
Wis: 17 = +3
Con: 14 = +2
Chr: 11 = +0
Dex: 8 = -1
Str: 7 = - 2
HP: 6
AC: 9, Fort: 2, Ref: -1, Will: 5

Will finish later.
Book the Hero
Book the Hero
Forever a Book

Back to top Go down

Post by ExtravagantEvil Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:13 pm

Also: Two more questions I forgot to mention:

1. What does John Raven look like?

2. You have 17 Intelligence, so you get to choose 3 languages from the Half Elf Bonus Language list, and you automatically speak Common.
ExtravagantEvil
ExtravagantEvil

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next